Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Special Counterfeit Kit

The Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog is having a design team call, so I thought I would try it out and see what happened. Now that I've decluttered and purged my stash, it's so easy to put together kits now, and I love their inspiration! Their challenge is to create a counterfeit kit based on your favorite online kit. I've been following Shimelle for a long time, and this year she started putting together a kit every month with a link to the products at 2peas with the idea that you can choose what you want out of the kit, and add in extra if you want... thus the Best of Both Worlds kit. Throughout the month she posts videos showing how she uses up the kit. I chose the May Best of Both Worlds kit as my inspiration.
 
 
Her color scheme is a few bright colors that mix and match well together, but specifically with two neutrals - kraft and grey. So I used that as my starting point. I found a few kraft and grey papers, then mixed in a few colors - I used the cut apart card sheet at my color inspiration with green, turquoise, yellow and orange.
 
 
I then pulled in some embellishments... I chose the circle wood veneers inspired by the star veneers, butterfly chipboard inspired by the butterfly paper, Fancy Pants die cuts, a MME die cut title, an alphabet stamp and a few sticker alphas, and a couple clear stamps.

 
And of course, I had to pull in a couple rolls of washi tape. Even though it's not in her kit, this is one of my go-to supplies now, so I had to put it in.

 
I also pulled in some papers from my scrap pile.. another die cut title, a paper with speech bubbles I could cut apart, hexagon paper inspired by the hexagon stickers, polaroid frame paper I could cut apart, a few papers in coordinating colors I could cut apart or fill in as needed, and a star, butterfly and heart shaped mini punch to add in more shapes.

 
So that's my kit!
 
Now, the second part of the call is to create a challenge and make a project for that challenge. I have to admit, I am a challenge junkie. So my challenge to myself was to create a layout with more than one challenge. This layout I ended up using 5 different challenges! You can see more information on my blog post here.
 
 
Now, with that many challenges, I have to be really organized to keep everything straight. I've tried several different systems... from post it notes in a planner, writing everything down in a notebook, and a few different free online task list programs. For a long time I was using Toodledo.com to put blog links and due dates and notes which worked out at home, but when I'd go to a crop I would have to print out the list of challenges to do and print out pictures of the sketches. I've recently found astrid.com which is absolutely amazing! Not only can I add links to the blog posts, due dates, and sort challenges into different folders (sketches, scrapbook challenges, completed), but I can also add the pictures for the sketch or photo inspiration challenges into the task itself! Now I can see it directly in that program and I don't have to print out sketches or click on links over and over again to figure out what I'm going to do next! Once I've completed the challenge and posted it online, I mark the task as completed, but it doesn't delete itself from the program. I can still view the task and click on the link to check the winner for the challenge after the due date, and then delete the task myself once a winner has been announced. Best of all, this program is not only free, but it's available for all mobile devices too!
 
To finish off this post, I thought I would share the other projects I completed with this kit...
 
Carnival of Smiles and Sunshine
 
Love the Hat
 
Daddy's Shoulders
 
Meeting Amy
 
On the Phone
 
Thank you for checking out my blog, and I hope I've been able to inspire you a little bit!


 


 
 

3 comments:

  1. Jen...Your kit is amazing and I love all of the projects that you created with it! They are all so different and it trult shows the versatility of the products that you have chosen. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat idea! I always love your layouts, good luck with the DT call!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did such an awesome job pulling together a very fun kit - love your color scheme!

    Your layouts are terrific - I love the way you used the striped washi tape on the polka dot paper - that looks so good and I never would have thought to mix those 2 patterns like that - LOVE it!

    Good luck with the DT Call - you would be an amazing member - and thanks for the tip about astrid.com - I am off to check that out!

    ReplyDelete